Search My Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

LionelLam.com is back! :-)

Whoa!

What happened here?

I woke up on a sunny Tuesday afternoon soaked in my own sweat.

Whew!

I just woke up from a nightmare, and if that was bad, I thought I would feel better if I did a round of checks on my blog, and to do some editing as well. Lo and behold! I was totally shocked by what I saw: pictures of blue, red and white splashed across my site’s homepage in a grid-like fashion.

I was shocked. I was surprised. I was a little dazzled….and of course, a little groggy.

I thought my site was hacked. Still reeling from the ‘shock’, I decided that there was something with those funny pictures. Upon closer inspection, I saw the words:

“Upgrade to Pro today!”

“Bandwidth Exceeded”

“Photobucket”

Whoa! Photobucket! What the heck…

I should have known that this was coming. I actually anticipated that something like would happen one day, but I never thought that ‘one day’ would be ‘today’. The bandwidth usage of the theme designer’s hosting account on Photobucket had just hit the ceiling and I’m pretty sure sites around the world using this theme would be crying for more server juice, and looking like you-know-what…

I decided that one day of ‘downtime’ would be enough. My friends joked that my site had just received a facelift. More of a ‘face off if you ask me. Final year project aside. It’s time to save my ego…

I immediately went on a prowl for a solution. I decided that if the pictures were missing, it had something to do with a URL (Uniform Resource Locater, the jargon that fills your browser’s address bar, if you’re not exactly the tech-savvy kind…) pointing to an image that no longer exists. I went under the hood and voila! I made some changes to the CSS (Cascading Style Sheets, for more info, just do a Google search) and pointed the scripts to the theme images hosted on my Photobucket account.  It’s a good thing the theme’s designers included the pictures in the download package.

It’s simple really, I just changed the designated address in the CSS script and had the blog point to the images hosted on a Photobucket account under a different username.

Ah…and it has all ended well for me tonight.

Heyho!…heyho! It’s back to work I go!

==END==

2 comments:

  1. Lionel, you might want to try Picasa or Flikr. For me, I'd prefer Picasa by Google as it offers direct upload to my web album. Furthermore, until now, I have not received any "bandwidth exceeded" thingy.

    I used to stay with PB but said bye bye long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel, thanks for your suggestion, I'm starting to find it kind of irritating too, I always have to manually upload the pictures to PB.

    ReplyDelete